Surviving a generation that is pacing through various ups and downs is not easy. Our everyday struggles in meeting the challenges thrown relentlessly by our personal and professional lives make us highly vulnerable to mental health issues. Our mental health and wellness are directly related to how we perform or care for ourselves.
One of the most reliable cures for managing mental wellness is Ashwagandha. But in a world where unethical marketing does keep surfacing now and then, relying on anything but the best Ashwagandha supplement may not be safe. This guide is designed to inform you about the best Ashwagandha brands and the untampered benefits of Ashwagandha these Ashwagandha brands have to offer.
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha, also known as the Indian ginseng, is an ayurvedic cure for the whole body. Scientifically called Withania somnifera, this medicinal herb is an adaptogen that helps the body adapt to stress and anxiety.
People all across the globe, consider buying the best Ashwagandha supplements to boost their mood and reduce dependency on caffeine naturally. Not limited to just alleviating stress, the benefits of Ashwagandha also extend to strengthening the immune system, memory retrieval, increasing fertility in men, improving the brain’s cognitive function, managing depression and anxiety, and improving the quality of sleep.
10 Best Ashwagandha Supplement
NutriRise Ashwagandha makes use of pure and organic Ashwagandha roots for preparing the capsules. Furthermore, it contains no fancy addition to it except simply Ashwagandha and organic black pepper. The black pepper helps increase Ashwagandha’s absorption in the body, helping the capsule deliver the best benefits. The lack of ambiguous ingredients makes it one of the most reliable picks.
The NutriRise Ashwagandha capsule is made from vegan-friendly cellulose which should not concern you if you are a dedicated vegan.
Each bottle includes 120 veggie capsules with no fillers, binders, or artificial ingredients. It is one of the few supplements that has been tested by a third-party. Each batch in the supply chain is tested four times to ensure that you receive the quality product. All of this makes this make NutriRise one of the best Ashwagandha brands in our list of The Best Ashwagandha Supplements.
- Dairy-free, Non-GMO, Gluten-free.
- No harmful fillers, additives, binders, chemicals, or artificial colors.
- Tested by the third party.
- Free of allergen and vegan-friendly.
- The cost per milligram is higher.
- The label doesn’t mention the number of withanolides it contains.
Next on our list of the best Ashwagandha supplements is the NuturaLife Labs Organic Ashwagandha that offers the trust of third-party testing. The supplementation offers 2100mg of pure organic Ashwagandha root powder and extract.
You will get 1050 mg of organic ashwagandha powder (root) and 1050 mg of ashwagandha root extract per serving, with each serving size of 3 capsules. The presence of powerful concentration makes it the most potent supplement available. The product has no fillers or binders. The quality is constantly checked to ensure consistency and deliver unaltered brand value.
The purity and potency have been lab-tested, so if you are looking for a potent dose of reliable ashwagandha capsules, go for it! Moreover, it has a strong smell but doesn’t stink as terrible as most supplements do.
- A potent dose of 2100mg per serving.
- Third-party tested.
- No harmful fillers, additives, binders, chemicals, or artificial colors.
- Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, GMP, Vegan.
- Purity & Potency Lab-tested.
- Manufactured in an FDA registered facilit.
- Higher cost per concentration.
- Not enough serving.
- Doctor’s advice Recommended before consuming potent doses.
Each serving of the supplement gives 800mg of Ashwagandha, per serving including 2 capsules from the bottle. If you need a subtle dose of pure Ashwagandha roots and not just extracts. The lower concentration, of 400mg Ashwagandha per capsule, helps customize your doses as per your health advisor’s recommendation.
Organic India is the first food production facility to obtain LEED Platinum certification in India for quality and sustainability. The brand is popular for its ethical harvesting and community engagement with the farmers. Customers have experienced deeper and better sleep with the supplement. It also functions in improving thyroid function and supporting reproductive health.
- Certified USDA Organic.
- No harmful chemicals in drying or manufacturing.
- Gluten-free, Non-GMO, Vegan.
- Gives back to the farmer’s community in India.
- Uses whole roots and not just extracts.
- No black pepper extract.
- This bottle might last less than 6 weeks.
- Some customers have allegedly broken out with a supplement.
This product from one of the most popular Ashwagandha brands is one of the most highly impressive supplements that doesn’t use only ashwagandha root powder, but a combination of ashwagandha root powder, root extract, and C02 extract to get the full effects of ashwagandha. Each capsule is equivalent to 4,630 mg of root powder yet more efficacy.
While buying a supplement, be cautious that the higher milligram content does not necessarily translate into strength and efficacy without clinical evidence.
Besides being clinically studied for safety and efficacy, from a brand trusted since 1930. This supplement is also produced in a cGMP Good Manufacturing Practices certified facility. The product undergoes rigorous tests for identity, strength, and safety through well-recognized techniques and highly sophisticated instruments.
- Organic ingredients.
- Non-GMO Verified.
- Mentions the concentration of Ashwagandha and withanolide.
- Free from: additives, gluten, wheat, corn, soy, dairy.
- No artificial fillers, binders, or excipients.
- Produced in a cGMP facility.
- Rigorously tested for safety, identity, and strength.
- Black pepper is not present to increase absorption.
- A bit more expensive (but it’s certified organic and non-GMO verified which is hard to find).
Made from Organic Ashwagandha Root, Ashwagandha Root Extract, vegetable glycerin, capsule (vegetable cellulose), Gaia capsules offer 350 mg of the supplementation per capsule. The smaller dose per capsule allows you to customize your doses according to your physician’s advice.
The brand conducts its own test and screening at a Purity lab. A unique website of Gaia allows you to enter the product’s number and learn more about the screening it went through at lab tests. According to Gaia, their Liquid Phyto-Cap technology is engineered to support the body’s absorption of our concentrated plant extracts.
These authentic, safe ingredients & products are free of toxicity from heavy metals, pesticides & microbial contaminants. If you are sensitive to a particular processing, you may watch out for the process to confirm safety.
- Supports sleep cycle.
- Do not contain gluten, soy, dairy, meat, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, yeast, or eggs.
- Non-GMO and Vegan.
- Grown on a certified organic farm.
- Unique transparency in testing and processing.
- Not third-party tested for purity.
- Lowest ashwagandha amount at 350mg.
The supplementation offered by Nutra Herbals is true to its use. With no additives, fillers, stearates, and dioxides, per serving of the supplementation, 2 capsules in size contain 1200mg organic Ashwagandha, and 5mg Black Pepper Extract. It is pure Ashwagandha root powder with no toxic or unsustainable extract processes.
The addition of 5mg black pepper extract per serving enhances the absorption of the extract. This promising combination is rarely found in other supplementations that are obsessed with simple Ashwagandha root extracts with no black pepper in them.
Being a potent dose, it is advised to increase your supplementation beyond the suggested serving only if advised by a health expert.
- 1,200 milligrams of ashwagandha root powder per serving.
- Made following strict GMP guidelines.
- GMO-free, vegan safe with no additives or fillers
- Includes black pepper extract to improve absorption.
- The capsules are vegan— no gelatin.
- The label doesn’t specify the withanolide content, so you don’t know the precise amount of the active ingredient.
- The product isn’t certified by the USDA.
- NutraHerbals’ Ashwagandha isn’t tested by a third party to confirm label accuracy.
With 1950mg of ashwagandha per serving, with each serving size of 3 capsules, Essential Elements Organic Ashwagandha Root is one of the best supplements to look out for. It has 15 mg of added organic black pepper extract to improve bioavailability and boost the absorption of Ashwagandha in the body.
It claims to be one of the most potent stress busters that can reduce your anxiety and help uplift your mood. But not only anxiety, but the supplementation also claims to have been designed by health care professionals for regulating the thyroid function and thus, improve metabolic function. Essential Elements assures the organic and natural status of the product.
- 1950 mg Ashwagandha per serving.
- Black pepper extracts for improving absorption.
- Claims to be designed by health care advisors.
- Free of Gluten, Dairy, Shellfish, and Soy.
- Triple Strength.
- The capsule melts quickly.
- May cause tummy pains or mild adverse effects.
Jarrow Formulas’ Ashwagandha contains KSM-66 Ashwagandha root extracts. KSM-66 is the best ashwagandha extract on the global market and is the highest concentration of full-spectrum extract available today. It uses only the ashwagandha plant’s roots in a process that is free of alcohol or chemicals.
A “full-spectrum” extract maintains the balance of the essential constituents as is found in the original herb, without unusually expressing any constituent. A smaller concentration of 300 mg per capsule helps eradicate side effects. This is potent and safe for consumption.
Upon the interrogation of some concerned users, Jarrow verified that they use the completely vegan version of KSM-66 from Ixoreal Biomed. Ingredients: KSM-66 Ashwagandha (Root Extract) (Withania somnifera), Cellulose, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), and silicon dioxide. Capsules consist of hydroxypropylmethylcellulose.
- Verified Vegan.
- 300 mg serving per capsule.
- Potent and certified KSM-66.
- Pure root extracts.
- Capsule consists of hydroxypropylmethylcellulose.
- Includes magnesium stearate (vegetable source) and silicon dioxide.
- Small concentration.
- No black pepper extracts for absorption.
NOW is a renowned brand for health-based supplementation. Their Ashwagandha supplementation already receives a credential of the brand value. Customers mention that this supplement has genuinely helped them manage stress and anxiety. The supplement also claims to help with balancing hormones and regulating their mood.
The only drawback is that the formulation ingredients lack certification on the organic status. However, they are GMP certified, which means they regulate stringent standards on hygiene and safety. This traditional herbal system is known to improve immunity and positive mental health. Ashwagandha is used as an adaptogen to help the body adapt to various patterns of stress.
- One of the cheapest per pill price.
- Certified Non-GMO, kosher, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan.
- NPA A-rated GMP certification assures quality.
- Users claim it worked within a month.
- No gluten.
- Not organic.
- No black pepper extract.
- The extract is not from the root.
Nutrigold offers the best of Ashwagandha’s concentration per serving with 300 mg KSM-66 extracts from the root, standardized to 5% withanolides and Organic Full-Spectrum Ashwagandha [root] Powder 200 mg. This high-potency extract is the best form available in the market.
More than the efficacy, have the “certified organic” label on their bottle. And the best part is: the clarity on the label improves customer’s trust in the brand’s transparency. Moreover, this has been independently tested by external entities for allergy-free ingredients.
- Made with organic KSM-66 extract.
- Non-GMO Project verified, Certified kosher.
- Soy-free / Verified free of allergens.
- Certified organic and quality control.
- No harmful additives, magnesium stearate, residual solvents, or residual pesticides.
- Independently tested by a third-party lab for allergy-free ingredients.
- Fewer supplementation.
- No extracts to improve absorption.
- Ambiguous procurement process.
Since this happens to be the final product on our list, we need to draw your attention towards who should not supplement themselves with ashwagandha unless advised otherwise by healthcare professionals: pregnant or breastfeeding women, those with a medical condition like diabetes, high or low blood pressure, stomach ulcers, autoimmune disease, or thyroid disorders.
Best Ashwagandha Supplement – Buying Guide
1. Percent of Ashwagandha
If you have gone through our recommendation list thoroughly, you might have noticed the attention that we have given to the concentration of Ashwagandha per serving size of the product. There is no verified recommended daily intake of Ashwagandha, but that does not mean you can take in too little or too much without a concern.
Certain customers have experienced mild side effects with higher doses, including diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and uneasiness. On the other hand, lower doses take a lot of time to show any significant results. Therefore, we recommend that you start with a lower dose and increase it gradually depending on the results.
2. Percent of Withanolide
This is an active ingredient in Ashwagandha and helps determine the efficiency of the extract. Most of the brands do not mention the concentration of Withanolide because the natural process of procuring Ashwagandha extracts or powder does not readily give an idea of the same.
However, specifically, lab-tested products for the ingredients’ concentration reveal the approximate Withanolide content in it. Though you should not be too concerned about it, yet the presence of withanolide in decent concentration makes the efficacy reliable.
3. Extraction of Black Pepper
A number of Ashwagandha supplements include black pepper extracts. This may help to increase the absorption of Ashwagandha in the body. While improved absorption helps you to get the maximum benefits from the supplement, it is also worth noting that black pepper has its own added goodness.
You would easily find black pepper in most of the highly efficient Ashwagandha products, but that doesn’t mean that those without it are not worth your attention! Studies have also found that the addition of piperine assists the intestines in uptake anti-inflammatory compounds.
4. Certification and Testing
The FDA doesn’t specify any recommended monitoring on nutritional supplements. Therefore, the only way to confirm the quality is through the label. The tags on certifications or the claims made by various supplements could be confusing, but to find the right from the lot you need to confirm the source of the certification.
Most top-tier brands get their prodṣucts tested from a third-party lab or institution to guarantee that there are no heavy metals or other contaminants present. You can also check out USDA standards and other organic certifiers for assured organic standards.
I don’t know if that’s worth putting up, but I hope you know how to compare the cost of supplements across brands. Consider the cost per mg of the supplement to get the true value you are paying for the supplementation.
Here’s a simple calculation: Find out the amounts of mg per serving and the no of servings per bottle to find the cost per mg. Divide the buying price by the serving value that you have calculated- that’s about it.
Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha is an ancient ayurvedic medicine, dating far back to about 3,000 years. There are several benefits of using ashwagandha, including improved thyroid function, alleviated depression, increased energy, and stress-relief.
But let’s dive deeper into the range of benefits Ashwagandha offers and why you should consider buying a supplement for it.
- Reduce blood sugar levels
- Regulate blood sugar
- Might contain Anticancer properties
- Lowers cortisol levels
- Improves sperm quality and fertility in men
- Might decrease blood pressure
- Lowers Cholesterol levels
- Increase muscle mass and strength
- Anti-anxiety and provides stress relief
- Helps with depression
- May boost memory and cognitive function
- Anti-inflammatory properties
If you stuck by us through the length of the article- we hope you have got the best clarity on Ashwagandha supplements. In case you find your ideal pick on the list mentioned by us- You’re most welcome, yet, if you have some other supplement in mind, we hope the buying guide gives a great idea of what exactly you need to check for!