Best Vegan and Cruelty-free Shampoo Brands
The whole marketing process of the beauty industry concentrates majorly on the benefits of the products. The brand continuously focuses on how they are going to solve your skin or hair problems and how much you need them right now to achieve the flawless beauty. But, the ingredients are somehow left unexplained and the word ‘cruelty-free’ doesn’t get so much importance as it deserves. This whole situation is immensely problematic for vegans.
The popular brands which are now stepping forward to manufacture cruelty-free products are not vegan most of the times. And the vegan brands which are against animal testing get overshadowed and have fewer chances to promote their products. So, vegans have to go through so much trouble to select some necessary items, like a bottle of shampoo.
It’s not like that there are no brands which make cruelty-free and totally vegan-friendly shampoos, but indeed, they are hard to find. This article is going to explore the best cruelty-free vegan shampoo brands and put detailed information about each and every product. So, let’s begin.
What Are Cruelty Free Vegan Shampoos?
Cruelty-free Vegan Shampoos are those which are made of 100% vegan ingredients, meaning no animal-derived product is involved in the manufacturing and are not tested on animals. In most of the leading shampoo brands we see many animal by-products, and are routinely tested on animals.
These products are very much harmful to animals because they have chemicals, sulfate, parabens and other dangerous derivatives which can cause serious health damage to the animals that these are tested on, sometimes even death.
So, choosing a vegan and cruelty free shampoo is important for both vegans and non-vegans. Cruelty-free shampoos are even cost-effective and even if you feel that any of your favorite product is out of budget then you can look for them during vegan beauty black Friday sale because many brands do list them. We have scrutinized several popular shampoo brands like Wella Professionals, Tresemme and many more for its vegan status.
The Benefits of Vegan Cruelty free Shampoo
There are many benefits of using a vegan and cruelty free shampoo. They are –
- Vegan shampoos are made from all natural and organic ingredients which will suit people across ages – from a baby to an aged person, everybody can use them.
- A vegan cruelty free shampoo is free from any kind of animal-testing. And this will make every customer guilt-free as no animals were harmed in the production of these shampoos.
- Most of the popular shampoo brands contain high amounts of sulfate, parabens and other harmful chemicals which can effect adversely to our hair and body. But vegan shampoo brands are free from these toxic elements so they don’t have any side effects whatsoever.
- Vegan cruelty free shampoos make your scalp and hair very healthy. The organic ingredients deeply nourish your hair.
- If you have problems like, hair fall, dandruff, heat damaged or colored hair, using best vegan shampoos specifically made to target those problems, will help you get rid of those issues in an all natural form.
Top 10 Vegan and Cruelty Free Shampoo Brands
Vegan and Cruelty free shampoos can be used by anyone who is against animal-testing and want to use a shampoo without any animal by-product. Apart from getting many benefits, the fact that vegan and cruelty free shampoos are suitable for everyone, is something that attracts people to buy them. But finding the correct one for you can be difficult. Let us talk about Top 10 Vegan and Cruelty Free Shampoo Brands which you can trust with closed eyes.
1. Aveda Shampure Shampoo
Aveda Shampure Vegan Shampoo contains all organic ingredients which can be used by both men and women. It is infused with natural oils like lavender oil, coriander oil and eucalyptus oil which gently cleanse your scalp and hair without over-drying it.
These oils also deeply nourish the hair cuticle to prevent roughness, split-ends and breakage. This is one of the best best vegan shampoomade of Morikue protein extracted from Brazilian wheat and nuts. The Morikue protein makes this shampoo appropriate for colored hair too. All the natural ingredients make it suitable for daily use.
This vegan shampoo by Aveda not only strengthens and cleanses your hair; it gives your hair a heavenly smell because it contains a mixture of plant and flower essences.
- Deeply cleanse scalp and hair
- Gives nourishment to hair cuticles
- Prevents split-ends and damage
- Gives a natural and fresh smell to hair
- Suitable for daily use
- The quantity is less compared to the price
- Takes much time to fully rinse out
2. Giovanni Invigorating Vegan and Cruelty free Shampoo
The Giovanni Invigorating Tea Tree vegan and cruelty free shampoo is suitable for every hair type, be it dry or oily. It has tea tree oil which eliminates dandruff and provides much needed scalp circulation to promote healthy hair growth.
It strengthens and conditions your hair and scalp with a mixture of rosemary and eucalyptus oil and also gives a cooling effect because it has peppermint oil. This cruelty free shampoo by Giovanni enhances your hair texture and reduces roughness from your hair with lavender, aloe vera, sage and other essential botanical oils.
It is completely safe for color-treated hair as it gently cleanses the oil build up without stripping the natural oils off your scalp. Also, because it’s cruelty-free and contains no harmful sulfate and parabens, it’s suitable for daily use.
- Contains tea tree, aloe vera and lavender oils
- Vegan and Cruelty free shampoo
- Strengthens hair follicles and promotes hair growth
- Reduces dandruff visibly in a few days
- Perfect for color-treated hair
- Gentle formula suitable for everyday use
- Slightly on the expensive side
3. Christina Moss Naturals Vegan Organic Shampoo
This Christina Moss Naturals Vegan Organic Shampoo contains gentle natural oils, plant extracts and vital fatty acids to give your hair and scalp the proper moisturization and a dandruff-free scalp. It has coconut oil which is a very popular ingredient in hair care. Coconut oil is well-known to soften hair texture and repair damage.
It also helps to gently cleanse the hair and scalp without causing any harm to the follicles. It contains aloe vera which eliminates any bacteria that is prone to develop in oily hair. This shampoo by Christina Moss Naturals is suitable for both oily and dry hair.
Because it has no artificial fragrance, chemicals or harsh derivatives, you can use this vegan organic shampoo for your baby too. It contains Shea butter that smoothens your hair. Learn the difference between Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter with us.
- Natural vegan shampoo
- Contains coconut oil, aloe vera and shea butter
- Removes dandruff and prevents hair damage
- Gives hair and scalp proper nourishment
- Suitable for all hair types
- Perfectly baby-safe formula
- Not suitable for colored hair
4. Puracy Natural Daily Cruelty Free Shampoo
Puracy Natural Daily Cruelty Free Shampoo is a mix of essential oils which is suitable for babies also. It has a gentle cleansing formula with sea salt which removes oil and dirt particles from your hair while providing deep nourishment. So, it’s best for fixing damaged hair problems. This vegan organic shampoo contains citrus grove and other 100% natural essential oils which are suitable for every hair type.
The unique pH-balance formula of Puracy Natural Daily Shampoo makes it perfect for any type of hair condition. It is appropriate for sensitive scalp because it is made without any allergens or irritants.
- Has sea salt for extra hydration and deep cleansing
- PH-balance formula suitable for dry or oily hair
- Perfect for sensitive scalp and hair
- Free from any irritants or allergens
- Tear-free formula suitable for babies
- Packaging is not good enough
5. John Masters Vegan Organic Shampoo for Normal Hair
John Masters Vegan Organic Shampoo for Normal Hair is a miracle product for anyone suffering from hair loss. It has certified all organic lavender extract which is a popular ingredient to prevent hair loss. Also, it contains certified organic rosemary extract which helps in healthier hair growth.
This John Masters Vegan Organic Shampoo strengthens the hair follicles to reduce breakage with the help of soy protein. This also gives a natural shine to your hair. Its gentle formula balances the pH level and deeply cleanses all the dirt and oil build up without stripping away the natural oils our scalp produces.
- Promotes healthy hair growth and prevents hair loss
- Made of certified organic lavender and rosemary extracts
- Contains soy protein to repair damaged hair
- Balances natural pH levels
- Doesn’t suit color-treated hair
- Falls under the expensive category
- Doesn’t remove dandruff
6. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
If you want a shampoo with all organic ingredients which will be suitable for your colored hair, then this is one of the best vegan shampoo for you. This Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo is infused with natural tea tree, lavender and peppermint oils. It gently removes all the impurities from your scalp and hair.
Tea tree oil helps in reducing dandruff and any kind of bacteria from your scalp because it has antibacterial properties. Peppermint oil gives a cooling effect and soothes the scalp while lavender oil provides a nice and fresh smell to your hair after every wash. This vegan shampoo by Paul Mitchell is perfectly suitable for colored hair.
People with both oily and dry hair can use this shampoo on a daily basis. It repairs damage and gives your hair a shiny and healthy appearance.
- Contains organic tea tree, lavender and peppermint oils
- Suitable for color-treated hair
- Perfect for any hair type
- Reduces dandruff and repairs damaged hair
- Lathers well and suitable for daily use
- Price is on the higher side
7. Hask Argan Oil Haircare Set
This Hask Argan Oil Haircare Set has a great repairing formula which gives your damaged hair the much needed nourishment. The gentle formula of this vegan shampoo is suitable for dry hair type. It cleanses the dirt particles from your hair without harming its natural oils.
This vegan shampoo contains argan oil which helps to achieve the smooth and tangle free hair you have always desired. It strengthens the hair follicles to prevent hair breakage. You need to apply only a tiny amount of product because this shampoo lathers very well. It is also suitable for daily use because it has no harmful derivatives in it.
- Suitable for dry hair
- Gives proper nourishment to hair
- Gentle formula suitable for daily use
- A long lasting, low cost product
- Not suitable for oily hair
- Not meant for colored hair
8. Amika – Vault Color-Lock Shampoo
This Amika – Vault Color-Lock Shampoo is the best option for any type of color-treated hair. It gives your hair color an amazing staying power and prevents the shade from fading. This shampoo is packed with antioxidants and UV filters which repair sun damage and help your hair color stay perfectly vibrant for a long period of time. It is safe for any type of chemically treated hair such as keratin or Brazilian treated hair.
The Amika Vault Color Lock Shampoo contains soybean oil for deep nourishment. Its natural ingredients also protect hair from any damages that causes dryness and hair fall.
- Ideal for colored hair
- Makes the hair color last long
- Suitable for keratin and Brazilian-treated hair
- Protects hair from sun and free radical damage
- Contains soybean oil for extra nourishment
- Features UV filters and antioxidants
- Doesn’t reduce dandruff
9. Hempz Pomegranate Daily Herbal Moisturizing Shampoo
This Hempz Pomegranate Daily Herbal Moisturizing Shampoo is packed with 100% all organic hemp seed oil which not only cleanses all the oil and dirt build up from your hair, but also provides moisturization to your health. So you can have healthy looking, shiner hair after every wash.
This shampoo is enriched with pomegranate extract which gives your hair proper hydration. It has extremely mild cleansers which make this shampoo perfect for every hair type. It’s free from sulfate, parabens and other hair-damaging chemicals and it’s totally cruelty-free. This shampoo is a budget-friendly option for every vegan out there.
- Enriched with pomegranate extract
- Contains hemp seed oil for deep hydration
- Suitable for every hair type
- Budget-friendly yet high-quality shampoo
- Has a strong smell
10. Briogeo Farewell Frizz Smoothing Shampoo
If you have frizzy and unmanageable hair, then this vegan shampoo is going to be your savior. This Briogeo Farewell Frizz Smoothing Shampoo is enriched with vitamin E, rosehip, coconut and argan oils which gives your hair and scalp a gentle wash and restores the nature oils of your scalp. Coconut and argan oil nourish your hair follicles and gives you shiny, healthy looking hair. This provides your hair deep conditioning, frizz-free and smooths hair texture.
The Briogeo Farewell Frizz Smoothing Shampoo is suitable for color-treated, keratin-treated or Brazilian-treated hair. It comes with antioxidants and rosehip oil which protect your hair from sun damage and free radical damage and also prevents the color from fading.
- Best suitable for frizzy and dry hair
- Safe for chemically treated and colored hair
- Contains vitamin E, coconut, rosehip and argan oils
- Improves hair texture and gives healthy shine
- Very thick consistency which is difficult to lather
- Can’t provide enough moisture to extremely dry hair
Beauty has a price to pay. We all know that. But if that price is putting innocent lives to silly testing processes which can potentially harm them, is way worse than spending considerable amount of money. Also, we usually disburse a huge amount of money to buy shampoos and other products which are filled with harmful chemicals.
So, how is our money benefiting us? It doesn’t, at all. It’s high time that we consumers, including vegans, vegetarians and non-vegetarians, switch to vegan and cruelty free shampoo brands and reduce the use of the popular products which do more harm – to our bodies, to other animals and to the environment. You can also check our scrutiny on Bath and Body works and Soap and Glory’s vegan status.
Your article was very insightful, Tully. The column stating the benefits of cruelty-free shampoos was something that I loved in this article.