Physical training can not be seen from a unidimensional perspective. You need to see all that it takes to ensure that you are able to perform and get the desired results from your routine. Be it with respect to rest, lifestyle changes, nutrition, or supplementation, finding the balance that best suits you is a requisite.
A vegan pre-workout supplement is great to have for those who require greater flushing in energy while training. Another reason why one should choose the best vegan pre-workout supplements is that it has healthier ingredients than most. So without much ado, let’s find out some great pre-workout supplements available in the market!
What is a Vegan Pre-Workout Supplement?
Also referred to as “pre-workouts”, these are a sort of multi-ingredient dietary solutions that are meant to enhance your athletic performance. Most of them claim to build muscular endurance, which is imperative for individuals performing strenuous physical activities. They look like powdered substances that can be mixed with water to drink before hitting the gym sessions.
There is more than one formula of pre-workouts available across the stores. Mostly, they include Amino acids, vitamins B, caffeine, and creatine, added to other macros or micros that the brand intends to offer. They also include sweeteners and offer varying flavors.
10 Best Vegan Pre-Workout Supplement
The name is pretty self-explanatory on what the vegan pre-workout supplement wishes to offer. This supplement is certified by USDA or using organic elements in the formulation. Indeed, it has an incredible combination of 25 organic ingredients that provide a cruelty-free source of energy. The ingredients can be classified into 3 parts to have an overview of each.
Organic Energy and Electrolyte Blend aim to provide energy through solid caffeine sources in green tea and green coffee. It also provides you with electrolytes for preventing dehydration and sustaining energy. Organic beet and pomegranate dominantly contribute their flavor to the mix.
Organic Focus and Endurance Adaptogens blend combine ingredients that help the body cope with stress. Ashwagandha, present in the blend, is a potent adaptogen and is also known to improve men’s fertility. Rhodiola root & Eleuthero root can potentially reduce fatigue and improve performance.
Organic Nitric Oxide Blend, made of kale, beetroot and spinach etc., is meant to increase nitric oxide activity in your body.
- Effective blend
- Affordable organic product
- Certified clean supplement
- Efficacy of certain ingredients lack evidence
This vegan pre-workout supplement has 10 simple organic ingredients without any artificial additives, colors, sweeteners, flavors or preservatives. What makes it all the more reliable is the fact that all these ingredients are backed by science to improve physical performance.
The supplement gives standard doses of beta-alanine, creatine monohydrate, arginine, natural caffeine, vitamin B12, niacin, calcium, vitamin C, and other necessary micronutrients. The creatine monohydrate is the most active form of creatine that can help you enhance strength and increase the power output while training.
If you are under strength-based or resistance training and intend to build lean muscle, this could be the wholesome supplement you need. However, citrulline is more effective than arginine at converting the levels of plasma arginine and improving nitric oxide levels in the body, associated with better blood circulation.
- Simple yet effective ingredients
- The perfect dose of the essential nutrients
- No artificial sweeteners, colors, or additives
- Enhances performance and recovery
- Includes nutrients that incomplete vegan diet fails to offer
- Arginine could not be effective in regards to performance
Yes, here’s a deviation- we have listed a pre-workout drink that has allegedly helped people improve their workout performance. Though The Garden of life promotes the drink as a Pre-workout supplement, it can actually contribute to your energy levels at any time of the day.
For anyone going through resistance and strength training, recovery is no joke. You should protect your muscle and accelerate only fat burn to derive the maximum benefits. Therefore, Garden of life Post Workout Muscle Recovery Powder could be of great help! This performance booster is certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, NSF Certified for Sport, Informed-Choice for Sport Certified and is absolutely vegan friendly.
The Organic blend, including Turmeric, Goji berries, Blueberries, Apples, and Rooibos, can significantly reduce oxidative stress and protect your muscle from wear and tears.
- Certified from various organizations
- Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
- Improves muscular endurance
- Great for strength and resistance training
- Whole foods and organic
- Mostly limited to recovery and strength performance
- Pricey despite being cost-effective
- Gritty and tastes like oatmeal
Infinity by RARI has ingredients that play a key role in giving you the desired energy boost and power output. It helps building endurance that can help you sustain the energy to perform on the track or in the gym. It is also widely popular for the no jitteriness formula to prevent energy crashes after the prolonged performance.
The greatest credit that the supplement gathers is regarding its unmatched transparency on ingredients and the amounts used in them. The blend of adequate amounts of L-Citrulline Malate, Beta-Alanine, Caffeine, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B12 (check vitamin b12 supplement) gives you great value for money. These are all scientifically proven to improve your strength; therefore, no troubles in believing the brand’s promise.
- Keto and vegan-friendly supplement
- Certified with Good Manufacturing Process (GMP)
- Gluten-Free, Vegan and non-GMO
- Contains proven ingredients that enhance performance
- Great value for your money
- A large amount of caffeine might be too much if you’re sensitive to stimulant
- Some users argue that the flavor is terrible
With subtle amounts of caffeine and root extracts, this supplement is excellent for those vegans who are excessively sensitive to stimulants. If you suffer nausea, dizziness and stomach pain upon consuming stimulants, consider having a look at this. The caffeine content in the product per serving is almost similar to a cup of coffee.
Moreover, the Eleuthero root extract, or the Siberian ginseng, serves as an adaptogen that may assist you in developing endurance for strenuous aerobic activity. It boosts your energy levels herbally. However, the effectiveness of this ingredient depends on your metabolic activities, so it may or may not provide you instant results.
In addition to the Eleuthero, the supplement has Rhodiola root: which is another herbal adaptogen. It can help in reducing fatigue besides pacifying stress and anxiety issues.
- Simple formulation
- For people who do not depend on stimulants
- 100% clean and vegan-friendly
- Great for recovery purposes
- No artificial sweeteners
- Higher content of brown rice syrup
- Not enough stimulation
- It May take a longer time to show results
- Expensive against the benefits it offers
Organic Muscle is all about enhancing your mental focus and muscle control for a productive training session. The formulation of organic and non-GMO ingredients in the vegan pre-workout supplement is known to assist in increasing pump, stamina, and focus for workouts.
The supplement is USDA certified for staying true to its promised standards. However, they are not as open about their formula as a dedicated vegan would wish a reliable brand to be. Anyways, the ingredients in their formula are worth every penny you spend! Natural ingredients like Ginseng, Maca, organic beetroot, berries, herbs, coconut water and green tea are all known for their impeccable health benefits.
While the herbs and coconut water help you feel hydrated and maintain the electrolytic balance through your intense sessions, green tea with a caffeine boost can help you achieve that extra mile. You may not find it excessive to call it a superfood made of vegan-friendly items.
- Almost a vegan superfood
- Contains natural ingredients
- The ingredients are proven beneficial
- Organic, Vegan and Non-GMO
- Formula is mysterious
- Might not provide competitive energy
If you need a sharper focus while working out, here is a supplement specially designed for your purpose! The Genius pre-workout is a unique formula that has dual functions. Firstly, it is a great way of improving your muscular endurance, which has direct relations to your athletic performances.
Secondly, it employs nootropic ingredients such as the Alpha-GPC, Rhodiola Rosea, L-tyrosine and huperzia Serrata that will effectively sharpen mental cognition, alertness, and focus. On the other hand, citrulline malate and beta-alanine will assist in inducing decent pumps and augment muscle endurance.
One of the most notable features of this supplementation is the lack of Caffeine in its formula. It has slightly higher pricing but definitely, a must-have if you want a stimulant-free supplement that has amazing effects on your concentration capacities.
- Great to improve brain function
- L-Citrulline, EleATP and L-Arginine to pump energy
- Prevents crash in energy
- Great for those sensitive to stimulants
- Increases muscle performance and endurance
- Has no caffeine, so not recommended to those enjoying an adrenaline rush
PurePump is one of the cleanest choices in the market for vegan pre-workouts. It gives you a reliable flow of energy, preventing any energy crash within 20 mins of intake. Surprisingly, this is also one of the most cost-efficient products you would like to have.
The supplement provides incredible energy, intense focus, increased strength and endurance, and raging pumps, all of which allow you that one extra repetition on your way. PurePump contains 200 mg of caffeine per serving and Vitamin B3 (Niacin) that stimulates your mind and activates the desired muscle groups. The supplement uses the purest pharmaceutical-grade amino acids for a natural nitric oxide boost.
You can have a healthy pump and recovery from workouts through its organic formula. No artificial ingredients, no fillers, and no banned substances are present in the supplement, as assured by the Brand. Nevertheless, it is also verified in an FDA-registered laboratory by Labdoor.com and has ranked one of the highest in purity.
- A clean source of supplementation
- Third-Party Tested and highly ranked
- Certified Vegan and Keto
- Pumps and helps in improving performance
- Tastes bitter
- Has lower mixability
- Not for persons with weaker digestion
If you are trying out your compatibility with different patterns of diets or have a stringent nutritional protocol, The Honey Badger Vegan Keto pre-workout supplement could be useful. It has no sugar, zero calories, free of sucralose, gluten or soy. You can expect improved focus, sustained intensity and enhanced endurance within 15 mins of consuming the supplement.
But why just before workouts? You can literally have it anytime within the sessions or after the sessions. The supplement features nootropic substances that are known as cognitive enhancers. It is non-habit forming, purely made of vegan and natural ingredients.
If you are concerned about your nutritional stats and monitor them regularly, you may feel glad to learn that it has no added sugar but gives unmatched flavor from non-caloric substances.
- Keto, Paleo, and Vegan-Friendly, Zero Calories
- No Sugar, Sucralose, Gluten, or Soy
- Non-habit forming anytime energy
- Naturally flavored
- No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Sweeteners, or Preservatives
- GMP and Third-Party Tested
- Complete disclosure of active ingredients
- Not a sharp dose as per pricing
- Not ample concentration of active substances like citrulline
- Might not sustain the pump for extended periods
Before we mess you up with jargons, understand that BCAA stands for Branched-chain amino acids that are a group of 3 essential protein building blocks- leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine. They are known to stimulate muscular growth, improve glucose metabolism and supply perennial energy to the muscles.
BCAAs supplements are often taken to improve recovery from intense strength training sessions. Type Zero Amino Burn combines 6,000mg of pure Vegan BCAAs with powerful endurance and energy-boosting ingredients for preparing a powerful pre-workout and recovery mix. L-Arginine, L-Carnitine, and Green Tea Extracts are excellent stimulants to have before a session of a strenuous workout.
This supplement is formulated with clean and natural flavorings with no sweeteners. It is also effective in hydrating your body. Since it does not have any artificial additives, it demands greater trust and promises health to the consumers.
- Stimulates mind and muscles
- Natural nootropics
- No sugar, carbs, calories, or artificial substances
- Combines effective amounts of BCAAs
- Great for performance and recovery
- A natural and organic supplement
- Proven Vegan
- Difficult mixability with water
- Tastes a bit disappointing due to the healthy blend
How to Choose a Vegan Pre-workout Supplement
Factors to consider before buying vegan Pre-workout
1. Purpose of Purchase
The purpose should motivate your cause to make a purchase. Ask yourself what your expectations from pre-workout supplements are? Based on whether you need a boost in energy or build muscular endurance, or aid fatigue could play a key role in influencing your decision on which pre-workout to buy. Not only these, you should also have a well-structured vegan meal plan in place, that will augment your body building goals quite well.
Moreover, instead of relying on the advertising quotations or any such probable gimmicks, check the ingredients listing on the label to clearly understand the givings (or misgivings) of the supplement. The crux is to make an informed purchase and to gradually track if the supplement stands true to its promise of fulfilling your needs.
2. Time of Use
This may sound vague, but trust me, it is important to clarify if your chosen supplement has a recommended time of consumption. Some might be designed for use in the morning with an empty stomach or light breakfast, while some may suggest using it before evening sessions only. The description on the label can be your perfect source of information. Do read it carefully! If you neglect these tiny bits of information, you may end up finding unpleasant results.
This is the most sensitive aspect you need to be extremely careful about. Certain supplements might feature ingredients that you may have sensitivities towards or could have been warned against by your health advisor. On the other hand, despite having all the effective ingredients, the pre-workout supplement may fail to work due to the concentration of those ingredients failing to meet the necessary levels. If the ingredient you are looking for has no recommended levels, say, for instance, tyrosine, consider taking the advice of a professional.
4. Certification and Testing
Do your research diligently! Certain products have been banned by anti-doping organizations around the world for valid reasons. Consuming them might have severe consequences on your health and career, especially if you are a professional athlete or aspiring to be one. Thereafter, check if those brands have tested certifications for standards and safety. If it is third-party tested- you can safely rely on them.
Once you have found the desired supplement whose provisions align with your requirement, and the brand has been tested reliably, have an eye for the cost you pay. If per scoop costs you more than how much you have reasoned out for its efficacy and results, switch for a better one. It is all about being cost-efficient than being cheaper or expensive. Moreover, if you are irregular with your routine, it might not be worth buying a supplement.
Benefits of Vegan Pre-Workout Supplements
The absence of the flush of energy as you start out may reduce your willingness to continue with workouts. Pre-workouts can stimulate your body and make the stored energy available to help you get the initial rush. Ingredients like caffeine and electrolytes can keep you energized, which is why you may notice an increase in your activity levels. Once you get consistent over your schedule, pre-workouts can then continue to have their sole function of increasing your performance.
2. Improved workout performance
Pre-workouts have the chief role of making your muscular energy available to you through your training sessions. Depending upon the type of workouts you do, you may need different supplementation. For a person taking the supplements before bodybuilding workouts, the primary concern should be to build muscle. On the other hand, for cardio-training, you may need improved endurance. There are specific pre-workout supplements for both.
3. Better muscle-mind connection
Pre-workout supplements help in sharpening the focus of the trainee. It can help you get rid of the mental clutter that inhibits your performance. It further allows you to focus on the muscle groups that you are activating while performing. This muscle-mind connection allows you to understand the limits to which you can challenge yourself in the sessions.
4. Greater strength
Your fatigue or lack of motivation can highly hamper the energy you put into your training. This can have repercussions on your strength levels. You may not feel satisfied with the session, while the fatigue may seem unrecoverable. With pre-workouts, you can get that push to utilize more of your strength and derive maximum benefits from the workout.
5. Faster recovery
Vegan pre-workout supplements can help you heal faster from a strenuous session. They accelerate muscle recovery from soreness and simple wear and tear. The longer the recovery, the slower you proceed on your track towards achieving your desired performance. Considering a slow-down is the last thing you would do, a pre-workout supplement can be highly beneficial in increasing your rate of healing. Ingredients such as caffeine, beta-alanine, and creatine, can help your sore muscles recover more rapidly.
Common Ingredients of Vegan Pre-Workout
1. Caffeine: This is the first ingredient that you may want to look for. It is great in giving you an energy spike. It also acts as a thermogenic and triggers fat to release energy
2. Beta-Alanine: It reduces lactic-acid build-up to help prevent premature fatigue. This helps avoid any sudden crash of energy.
3. Nitric Oxide Precursors: Nitric oxide helps in relaxation and recovery. Pre-workout supplements may include L-arginine, L-citrulline, or sources of dietary nitrates like beetroot juice or kale to provide Nitric Oxide.
4. Creatine: This often stands as an independent supplement in itself. Greater levels of creatine in your muscles can increase the recovery period, exercise performance and muscular growth.
5. BCAA’s: These are also standalone supplements made of essential amino acids like leucine, isoleucine and valine. They stimulate protein synthesis and reduce muscular soreness. This can also accelerate healing and growth.
6. Citrulline: Citrulline is naturally produced in the body. Though this might not be present in all the pre-workouts, yet it can be beneficial with improving blood circulation and making more energy available to you during workouts.
Other things to look for:
- Cruelty-free ingredients, without any animal-based or unsustainably derived ingredients.
- Clarity on ingredients listing with no artificial sweetener, flavors or dyes
- Explicit vegan formula and no suspicious blend
- A healthy combination of organic ingredients that are proven to provide energy
- Effective amounts of ingredient’s (concentration)to ensure the desired benefits
- No doping-elements or illegal substance abuse allegations on the Brand’s formula
When Is The Best Time To Take Vegan pre-workout supplement?
You may not have absolute clarity on the right interval between consuming a pre-workout shake and hitting the track or the gym. Many factors influence this parameter. It may depend on your metabolism or the ingredient’s assimilation time. Generally, the brands mention the requisite time to take the pre-workout supplement, but in case if they don’t, consider having the supplement prior to 20-30 mins of starting the warm-up. You can schedule this based on the time you take to reach your training spot. Feel free to experiment with the time as you start, gradually increase or decrease the time by 2 or 5 mins and identify the best fit for you!
Other pre-workout supplements to consider:
- Gamma Labs G-Fuel Pre-Workout Flavor Review
- Gnar Pump Pre-workout Supplement Review
- StrongGirl Pre-Workout Supplement Review
- Eat the Bear Pre-Workout Protein Review
- Genius Pre-Workout Review
To end with the discussion, it is important for you to value your body. It begins with listening to your body and noticing the signs very closely. If you need a boost to hit the session, go for a vegan pre-workout supplement that fulfills your body’s needs.
We hope this detailed buying guide and recommendations for the best vegan pre-workout supplement were useful to you!