Looking for a vegetarian Vitamin D supplement is a valid concern for both vegans and omnivores.
While Vitamin D is crucial to our health, yet you might not get enough of it with your lifestyle and dietary patterns. Living indoors or in areas with higher levels of pollution can affect your ability to absorb Vitamin D. Moreover, most of the reliable sources of vitamin D are animal-based, yet that doesn’t eradicate the total chances of omnivores’ vulnerability to Vitamin D deficiencies.
Vegan Vitamin D supplements can be taken by all irrespective of diet and lifestyle. To help find the best vegan vitamin D supplement, you need two things- knowledge and recommendation- And this article is about to cover them thoroughly.
What is Vitamin D?
Also called the “sunshine vitamin”, Vitamin D has multiple important functions. From the absorption of calcium and phosphorus to promoting normal immunity-based function, Vitamin D is crucial to your body beyond the healthy growth of teeth and bones. It is a fat-soluble vitamin that is naturally produced in the human skin upon exposure to sunlight.
But that’s not the only source you need to rely on. Certain food and supplements can provide you with the necessary vitamin D levels in your body. This vitamin’s deficiency can cause bone deformities such as rickets, soft bones (osteomalacia), or fragile bones (osteoporosis).
Types of Vitamin D
Vitamin D has two dominant types:
- Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol)
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)
Of these two types, Vitamin D3 is the most potent one than the D2 because it raises the levels of the usable form – calcifediol in the blood. Calcifediol defines the form of vitamins D2 and D3 broken down by the liver for utilization. Vitamin D levels in the body are measured through the level of calcifediol in the blood.
Most vegan sources of Vitamin D are rich in D2 and not D3. Most Vitamin D supplements are not vegan-friendly because they derive D3 from animal-based sources such as the skin of fatty fish and lanolin from sheep’s wool. However, the vegan D3 supplements are made from lichens (don’t cringe- it’s just an algae-like plant), and finding them is as easy as scrolling an inch on your screens as we have listed 7 best supplements for vegan D3 right below!
Best Vegan Vitamin D Supplement
The Vitamin D tablets by Ora offer 2,000 IU or 50mcg serving of vitamin D3, sources organically from lichens, which is a symbiotic plant-based substance made of fungus and algae. The supplement labeled “sol food”, derives its name from the Spanish word “sol”, meaning “sun”. One of the most reliable sources of vitamin D is the sun, and supposedly Ora offers you the most natural form of D3.
Indeed the supplement is proven Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, Organic, Soy-Free, and assured vegan. The tablets, though not chewable, are not hard to swallow. Moreover, their safety protocols meet both Us and European standards.
You can visit their website to check for the certifications and the method they use to track the product’s manufacturing and supply process.
- 2,000 IU vitamin D3 per tablet
- Organic sunflower lecithin to improve absorption
- Vegan and USDA Organic
- No artificial fillers
- Made sustainably from lichen
- 3rd party tested
- Small and easy to swallow
- A little expensive (but good quality)
- Only available through their website
Garden of Life claims Vitamin Code RAW supplementation for Vitamin D3 to be uniquely formulated than any other vitamin D nutritional supplement available in the market these days. The competitiveness starts right from the selection of Certified USDA Organic and Non-GMO Project Verified fruits and vegetables that are grown without harmful pesticides or chemicals.
The raw and vegan Vitamin D3 is delivered in a base prepared from high Omega-9 and Organic Green Cracked Wall Chlorella with live probiotics and enzymes. The real food 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 is gluten-free, dairy-free, and kosher, with no binders or fillers.
- 5000 IU of plant-based Vitamin D3
- Third-party certified
- Live probiotics and enzymes blend
- Organic and vegan
- Raw organic Fruit and Vegetable blend.
- Non-GMO, raw, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, and kosher
- No artificial fillers or binders.
- Larger pills
- Not for those sensitive or allergic to nutritional yeast
- Might require you to test Vitamin D levels in the blood before consumption
This supplement is not solely D3 but also has additional B12 in the gummies. It would not be over the top to guess that the addition of B12 makes it slightly expensive. Per serving of the supplement, consisting of just one gummy, provides 1000 IUs of plant-based Vitamin D3 and 250 mcg of Vitamin B12 within just 5 calories. It is ideal for kids and adults alike.
Because of its yummy flavor and chewable form, it can help you stay consistent on your supplementation. It has just 1g of added sugar from vegan cane juice which is also safe and doesn’t make it taste like candy! The product is also free of potential allergens- so in case you have sensitivities, you may take a safer decision with this.
- 1000 IU of D3 and 250mcg of B12 vitamins
- Low sugar and low-calorie counts
- Non-GMO, Vegan, Paleo Friendly, and Celiac Friendly
- Gluten-Free, Wheat Free, Yeast Free, and Soy Free
- Chewable gummies
- Flavorful and optimum for kids
- Not for people looking for pure D3 supplements
- The gummy could be a little hard due to lack of gelatin
- Not available in bulk, 60 serving of 1000 IU D3 per bottle
The Doctor’s Best Vitamin D3 features Vitashine D3, which is a plant source of the vitamin cholecalciferol and is one of the recognized superior forms of supplemental vitamin D. The procurement of the vitamin is assured sustainable and has been registered with the prestigious UK Vegan Society. Each serving of 1 capsule provides 2500 IU of vegan Vitamin D3, which is a substantial dose.
However, since it does not include plant-based fat in it, you might need to have a diet rich in RDA of fats from avocado, nuts, or vegan oils to enhance absorption of the vitamin D3. You may choose to get a vitamin K supplement if the need arises to boost the absorption; otherwise, it is good to go with fats!
- 2,500 IU of Vegan Vitamin D3 per serving
- Affordable with no additives
- Registered with the UK Vegan society
- Processed in a cGMP certified facility
- Third-party tested
- Gluten-free, Non-GMO, Vegan
- Lacks any absorption boosters
- Has a little bit of maltodextrin and sucrose, undetectable in taste
This supplement can serve a good size at a considerably lower cost. If you are looking for a bulk purchase, this product serves 180 servings per bottle per serving offering 2500 IU Vegan Vitamin D3. You can save a lot on the packaging without needing to buy multiple bottles.
The Vegan Vitamin D3 present in Naturelo has been sustainably sourced from wild-harvested lichen with no animal byproducts of any kind in it. It has been tested independently for ensuring higher standards of supplement quality. Further, it does not contain soy, dairy, yeast, eggs, nuts, caffeine, preservatives, or coloring. Therefore, you need not worry about safety standards.
- 2500 IU of vegan Vitamin D3 per serving
- Large supply size of 180 serving per bottle
- Small pill size
- Third-party tested
- Processed in a GMP compliant facility
- Non-GMO, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free
- Doesn’t have elements to improve absorption
- No specified source of Third-party test on AMAZON yet
This could be one supplement packed with all the goodness you may want to go about seeking! It has organic virgin coconut oil to boost the absorption of Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2. Each serving of the supplement gives 5000 IU of Vegan Vitamin D3 in one soft gel capsule.
Whether it is a winter month restricting your sunlight exposure or just your dietary preference of fewer greens which may cause Vitamin D deficiency in the body, this bulky dose may get you right on your nutrition! But there still could be a few reasons why this may not qualify as the best option for you- firstly, the price and secondly, if you develop mild side-effects to higher doses.
However, If your budget and health advisor permit you- this could be the best vegan D3 supplementation for you!
- 5000 IU of Vitamin D3 derived from Lichen per serving
- 100% plant-based soft gel capsule
- Formulated with Coconut Oil for absorption
- Third-party tested and Trademarked product
- Can be stored longer without loss of efficacy
- 90 day Money Back Guarantee
- Too Higher doses for sensitive or non-deficit persons
This supplement comes to you from a brand that has been verified sustainable with its harvesting practices and packaging, which qualifies climate-pledge friendliness standards. The product comes in bulk with a year’s supply of 1000 IU Vegan Vitamin D3 supply per serving. The vegan Vitamin D3 has true source ion climate-resistant lichens.
The tablets are odorless and relatively smaller in size and are ideal for those who hate flavorful pills or have difficulty swallowing. However, it does not contain oils to improve absorption so that it might require either fat-rich food or additional supplementation. The brand also uses UK manufacturing facilities that follow strict and stringent GMP.
- 1000 IU Vegan Vitamin D3
- No dairy, gluten, lactose, soya, yeast, or common allergens
- GMO-free and Vegan
- No artificial color, flavors, or preservatives
- Sustainable raw materials harvested and used.
- Bulk supply
- Competitive pricing
- Contains maltodextrin
- The label doesn’t confirm 100% vegan procurement of ingredients.
- Need to add an absorption element
Sources of Vitamin D
Our bodies receive Vitamin D from three key sources:
1. Sunshine and skin absorption
There could be nothing more natural than Sunshine to help synthesize vitamin D in the body. 10 mins of mild sun exposure, during the early morning or just before sunset, can be beneficial. However, relying heavily on such a sun-to-skin method can enhance the risk of skin damage through UV rays.
2. Food (naturally occurring or fortified)
The following foods are great vegan sources to acquire vitamin D.
- Mushrooms (generally D2) – maitake, button, morel, shiitake, and portobello mushrooms
- Fortified milk (could be D2 or D3) – such as soy milk and almond milk
- Tofu (generally D2) – many tofu products contain 20% of your vitamin D RDA in 1 serving
3. Vitamin D supplements
While looking for a supplement, take care of these following factors:
- Check if the vitamin D3, Cholecalciferol is from lichen (plant-based) or lanolin (animal-based)
- Confirm that the lichen-based D3 has a fat component (like EVOO)
- Find out one that packs 2,000 IUs of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)
Do Vegans Get Enough Vitamin D?
To put in one sentence: Not enough from the Diet! But it doesn’t mean omnivores have an advantage over Vegans. Omnivores could be equally deficient. Without digressing much from the matter, let’s concentrate on Vegans for now.
Your body produces Vitamin D3 upon exposure to sunlight, but that may not meet the necessary amounts required by your body. To improve vitamin D intake from a plant-based diet, you can rely on supplementation. Vegans should consume a minimum of 2000 IU per day of vitamin D. Some studies have even suggested that one may consume between 8,000 and 10,000 IU daily if there’s no risk of sensitivity or weakness to side-effects. Sometimes height and body weight may also influence your recommended vitamin D intake.
Vitamin D3 helps support bone health, immune wellness, cardiovascular function, cellular regeneration, and metabolism. Increasing your daily intake of Vitamin D can serve a myriad of benefits which would reflect highly with increased energy levels and stronger bones. We hope you have acquired the necessary information and guidance through this article to select the best Vegan Vitamin D supplement!