Almond milk is quite popular because of its lactose-free qualities and is a must have for all the people who are intolerant to lactose. Contrary to popular belief, almond milk does not upset your stomach. But the truth is that not many people can finish the entire carton of almond milk in one go. Some people use it in intervals and take time to consume it. For this, they need to preserve the almond milk in the right way. This is because, shelf life of vegan milk is limited to a very few days which you can check here. This article will cover all your questions about is it ok to freeze almond milk or can u freeze almond milk.
Can Almond Milk be Frozen?
Can you freeze milk to make it last longer? Freezing the almond milk (one of the vegan milk substitutes) is usually done to increase its shelf life. This is a major issue that various brands face. Almost all brands advice the consumers against freezing their product (AP, BD). Freezing the almond milk leads in separation and greatly reduces the consistency of the product upon thawing. You would be able to see a slight change in taste and texture after freezing your almond milk. Try for brands that have the provision of freezing available.
Also, if you blend your nut milk after defrosting and make it a part of a dish, the texture and slight taste change don’t matter that much because of the various additives used. It can be used in protein shakes and the taste difference seems to be negligible. Find some new dishes to be made with the frozen almond milk so that you do not end up wasting all of it!
Ways to Freeze Almond Milk
In Ice Cubes
All you need for this process is an ice tray and a freezer. Follow these steps for freezing your almond milk as ice cubes:
- Pour the entire milk in an ice cube tray, and put it into the freezer.
- Wait for a few hours and then once the almond milk freezes solid; transfer the cubes into a freezer bag or a container.
- Simply put this bag in the freezer and label it properly so that you don’t get confused.
- You have done the whole process and now you can use these cubes!
- The main benefit of storing it as cubes is that you can use appropriate portions for dishes and it is also better for thawing.
Freezing in Containers
This method is easier than the previous one. You don’t need an ice tray and other equipment’s. You just need airtight containers and a freezer. Follow these steps:
- Divide the entire liquid into portions depending upon how you will use them in future.
- Make sure there is some head space in every container.
- Label each container for your own ease.
- Put these containers in the freezer and make sure that they stand upright until the liquid freezes.
- After it is frozen, you are good to go! The shelf life of your product has gone up and you can enjoy using your almond milk for a much longer time now.
Pros of Freezing Almond Milk
- Frozen almond milk is excellent for baking: Drinking this milk after thawing isn’t recommended but it can be used for baking.
- Zero wastage: You can freeze your leftover milk and use it later on, it reduces the wastage.
Cons of Freezing Almond Milk
Major brands tell you not to freeze their almond milk. Here’s why they say this:
- Freezing of nut milk changes its consistency and texture to some extent: Ice crystals made during freezing breaks the structure of milk. This separation is obvious once your thaw and pour the milk into the glass.
- Change in colour and taste: You can easily feel and taste the difference in fresh almond milk and the frozen one.
- Shelf life: Thawed almond milk has an even shorter shelf-life than fresh milk unlike what people feel. You’ll have to quickly use it before it goes stale. This milk can last for 3-5 days in the fridge (unfrozen milk lasts for 7-10 days in the fridge). For most of the products, freezing increases its shelf life. So, we have also solved your doubt on can you freeze tortillas in this article.
Homemade Almond Milk Shelf Life: Homemade almond milk tends to go bad after 5 to 7 days it was made. It clamps up and this is the major reason and sign that it has gone bad.
Can you Freeze Smoothies Made with Almond Milk? – Yes, you can freeze the smoothies (like quinoa smoothie prepared here) in any type of freezer-safe container that you like. Keep them in the freezer till you want to consume it. The consistency is best if you allow them to thaw at room temperature. But, how much longer does quinoa last? You can find here.
When to Freeze Almond Milk?
Freeze your almond milk only if you want to use it in a recipe. You freeze it and then blend it properly for defrosting it. The taste changes a bit but it does not matter because of the overpowering taste of the dish.
Signs of Spoiled Almond Milk
The major way to know about your almond milk going rancid is by actually tasting it or observing it properly. If your nut milk has gone bad, the color will be more yellow from before. The container might have moulds or when the milk seems to be abnormally bloated, it is a sign of rancidity. Sour taste and thick chunks being formed is also a major sign. These signs are mostly common in most types of drinks. So, does your sports drink Gatorade also go bad? Check here.
Overall, it is advisable to consume any dairy product within the time frame or else its taste changes. One must freeze the almond milk properly to reap benefits even later on. But the major point here is that you can only use your frozen milk for dishes and not for direct consumption. Follow the steps given above for the best results!