Cosmetics are a woman’s best friend, undoubtedly. This is why more and more women are now giving extra attention to the cruelty-free stature of their favorite cosmetics brand. After all, looking good oneself does not mean putting another innocent creature through torture.
Unfortunately, several big names in the cosmetic industry test their products on animals. This is why several brands have come under scanner for their products cruelty-free status like Bare Minerals and Clinique after which we decided to put Stila Cosmetics, a known name in the industry, to test today. Let’s see if the brand makes and sells cruelty-free makeup products in the market.
Stila Cosmetics – Vegan and Cruelty Free?
About Stila Cosmetics — It’s a popular cosmetics brand that has been in existence since 1994. The brand sells a wide array of makeup products under its umbrella – ranging from lipsticks and eye shadows to numerous facial goods. So there it is – a signature style brand for the modern woman.
Is Stila Vegan?
Yes! Stila do have some vegan products in its bucket. But, it is not 100% vegan. Although the brand does have some vegan products in its portfolio but there are also other products that do not have vegan-friendly ingredients.
Stila products aren’t vegan as there are following non-vegan ingredients used in its cosmetics (which you must avoid by reading it in the ingredient list)
- Lanolin – derived from sheep wool
- Glycerine – primarily obtained from animal fat
- Casein – milk-based protein
- Squalene – extracted from shark liver oil
- Guanine – prepared from fish scales
- Oleic acid – mostly derived from animal fat
- Animal hair used in several makeup tools such as brushes
- Carmine – derived from cochineal insects
- Collagen – obtained from animal bone and skin
- Elastin – animal-based ingredient
- Beeswax – derived from honey bees (although, it is still debatable whether beeswax is vegan or not)
With all of these ingredients being used in most of Stila cosmetics, it can be said that the brand is definitely not completely vegan.
Does Stila Cosmetics Test on Animals?
Ok, so Stila is popular, yes. But the important question that this post intends to answer is does the brand indulge in or promote animal-testing of its products? Here’s what we found out.
Stila does not test its cosmetic products on animals anymore. Yes, in 2016, the brand was sold in mainland China, where the law of the land requires all products of foreign companies to undergo animal testing before they are allowed to be sold in the Chinese market. Hence, it’s understood that Stila complied with the law and obliged.
However, thankfully for animal supporters, Stila has now withdrawn all its products from China and this is because, the company doesn’t indulge in animal-testing of its makeup products anymore. Not only China but the company doesn’t even ship products to any other country where animal testing is obligated by law.
To applaud the company for this commendable move, the esteemed PETA organisation (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) has accorded “cruelty-free” status to Stila Cosmetics. So animal lovers can heave a sigh of relief and use all of their makeup products without a doubt or guilt in their mind.
Stila Vegan Products List
There’s definitely hope for vegans who love Stila cosmetics’ products, for the brand has a number of vegan offerings as well. By this we mean the company manufactures the following-listed products making use of 100% vegan ingredients, especially for its vegan audience. They’re also cruelty-free. Let’s take a look at Stila vegan list of products:
Stila Vegan Products List
- Aqua Glow Perfecting Bronzer
- Aqua Glow Perfecting Primer
- Stay All Day Bronzer for Face & Body
- Aqua Glow Serum Foundation
- Color Balm Lipstick
- Stay All Day MATTE’ificent Lipstick
- Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner
- Got Inked Cushion Eye Liner
- Huge Extreme Lash Mascara
- Lush Lips Water Pumping Primer
- Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow
- Mango Crush Lip & Cheek Stain
- Nude Interlude Color Balm Lipstick
- One Step Corrector
- One Step Illuminate
- One Step Prime
- Perfecting Concealer
- Perfectly Poreless Putty Perfector
- Shape and Shade Custom Contour Duo
- Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer
Stila Cosmetics Vegan & Non-Vegan Makeup Tools
- Double-Ended Blending Sponge
- La Quill Precision Eye Liner Brush
- Mini Wonder Brush for Face & Body
- Shape & Shade Custom Contour Brush
It’s good to keep these in mind to avoid making mistakes when going for a vegan product at the store:
- All Over Shimmer Powder in Kitten (carmine present)
- Convertible Color (all shades contain carmine, beeswax and lanolin)
- Mile High Lashes Mascara (includes beeswax)
The non-vegan tools from the brand to be avoided for vegans –
- Precision Eyeliner Brush-Long Handle (made from pony hair)
- All Over Blend Brush-Long Handle (made from goat hair)
- Double-Sided Crease and Liner Brush (made from squirrel hair)
Stila Cosmetics is not completely vegan but cruelty-free. Thankfully, the brand has a whole list of vegan products under its umbrella. There are several other cosmetics brands that provide completely vegan products. You can find several best vegan foundation brands that that works great on different skin types.