Veganism is trending and the highest in demand is vegan food. This is because vegan dishes can be made in numerous variations of their original versions to retain the vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free concept. And vegan desserts are a particular favorite in the vegan food category. You’d be surprised how they can still be as yummy-luscious as always without sugar or dairy!
Here we bring one such classic dessert recipe – coconut cream pie – with a vegan twist for all those vegans who’ve been craving to pamper their sweet tooth with something healthy and delicious. It’s the healthy coconut cream pie with coconut milk! Coconuts have several properties that helps us make use of them for different purposes like you can prepare vegan coconut milk chocolate, vegan deodorant using coconut oil discussed here and many more such things.
Like this one, there are many such simple recipes like vegan Macarons. Before we get on to making dairy free coconut cream pie, here’s something worth a note. Toasted coconut forms a very vital part of this recipe. Its aromatic fragrance as it turns brown on toasting is to die for and adding it to the recipe is nowhere optional – it’s a highly mandatory element of this lip-smacking vegan pie.
Dairy-Free Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
How to make vegan coconut cream pie recipe
To make the Crust
- 2 cup Walnut
- 1 cup Dates (Packed)
- 1/2 cup Dried Coconut (desiccated)
To make coconut pudding filling
- 1/3 cup Coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp Corn starch
- Pinch of Salt
- 400 ml Coconut milk (You can use any non-dairy milk alternatives from this list)
- 1/2 cup Shredded coconut
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
To make the topping
- 400 ml Vegan coconut cream (chilled in the fridge overnight)
- 6 tbsp Powdered sugar
To make toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup Shredded coconut
- All walnuts, dates, and dried and desiccated coconut to the food processor and blend everything together. The crumbled texture of the ingredients would soon change to a sticky dough.
- When it gets too sticky that it starts forming lumps, place the dough on a pie dish and pat it down, working it up along the sides.
- Freeze the dough to allow it to set for a while.
- While it freezes up, prepare the filling. For this, whisk together corn starch, coconut sugar, salt, and coconut milk in a large saucepan. Then heat the saucepan on medium-high flame, stirring regularly. The mix should be thick and bubbling.
- Remove from the heat and add shredded coconut and vanilla essence. Transfer to a glass bowl, cover it up with a plastic wrap and place in the fridge to cool and set thoroughly. You can also place it in the freezer for a bit to fasten up cooking.
- Take out the coconut cream cans from the fridge. Avoid shaking them. Upon opening, the cream portion would come to the top and only water would remain at the bottom. Scoop out the cream portion of both the cans and place it in an electric mixer bowl.
- Start with low speed and slowly increase it until the cream is fully whipped. Now add powdered sugar and whip again.
- Once the coconut pudding has cooled in the fridge and set perfectly, add half of the whipped cream to it. Spread it over the walnut/date crust
- Garnish with the rest of the whipped cream. To decorate the toasted coconut, place ¼ cup of shredded coconut on the baking tray. Set the temperature to 350°F for about 6-8 minutes, while stirring regularly until it’s brown and fragrant.
- Allow it to cool well before garnishing it atop the pie.
- Serve warm or chilled; also, once cooked, the pie can be stored in the fridge to last a few days when sealed in an airtight container.
Vegan coconut cream pie recipe is just one offering from the huge storehouse of vegan recipes like homemade vegan donuts or how to prepare Vegan french onion soup and many more. If you really want to go vegan, there’s absolutely no dearth of options out there. And the best part is you don’t even need to compromise with your taste buds – it’s super tasty and healthy too. Make it today and do share below what you think.
Check my other vegan desserts here!