Vegan Cottage Cheese Recipe
It is often said that a vegan diet is a diet for the better future. Being rich in proteins and low in fats, it is the best option for every individual. The most popular dish, that is used by almost every household on daily basis, cottage cheese can be made in the best vegan way too. It can be served raw in salads, marinated for meals and be used as a sweet dish if cooked properly.
Cottage Cheese – Vegan or Not?
What is Cottage Cheese – A recipe prepared from curd that gives you a soft, white colored cheese which is a non fat alternative to regular cheese is cottage cheese. It is mostly made of cow’s milk to have the low fat cheese version. The vegan cottage cheese is low fat alternative to regular vegan cheese.
Is Cottage Cheese Vegan?
No, the regular cottage cheese is not vegan as it’s made up of cow or goat’s milk. But, there are various vegan substitutes available for cottage cheese. Vegan cottage cheese is made up of tofu or soy along with almond milk or coconut milk.
There are various options available in the market such as the regular cottage cheese, flavored cottage cheese and with the growing popularity of the vegan products; some non-dairy cottage cheese options are also available like tofu cottage cheese, coconut milk cottage cheese, almond milk cottage cheese and soy cottage cheese.
Vegan products are those that do not use any animal produce or anything harvested from the animals. Dairy-free cottage cheese tastes much better than the regular cottage cheese as you can customize it according to your whims and fancies.
So you went vegan and now you are craving cottage cheese? Don’t bother at all. Yes, if you are vegan you can still enjoy cottage cheese.
Vegan cottage cheese is highly popular because of high antioxidant content and low-fat value it offers. With the growing awareness amongst the masses, people are slowly switching to the vegan options for a healthier life.In the USA, with the growing knowledge amongst the people, the masses are slowly embracing veganism for a healthier life and there has been a huge increase in the number of vegans.
Benefits of Vegan Cottage Cheese
Dairy Free cottage cheese has high protein value. This prevents fatigue, exhaustion and tiredness in daily routine. The normal cottage cheese has 300 calories and 200 grams of fat per 100 grams while the vegan cottage cheese has fewer calories and almost zero fat content. Vegan cottage cheese which is made with tofu stays at zero cholesterol level and helps in maintain the correct protein level in one’s body.
Cottage cheese alternatives like tofu reduce the risk of getting a heart stroke and other diseases by reducing bad cholesterol levels and triglycerides like glycerol. For people who are trying to lose weight, this can be a suitable option in their meal.
Recommended: The Vegan Diet and Cholesterol | How Do They Relate?
In this recipe, we’ll learn how to make the perfect counterpart of the age-old cottage cheese and make it dairy free or vegan!
Vegan Cottage Cheese Recipe
How To Make Vegan Cottage Cheese Recipe
- 1 & 1/3 cup Silken Tofu
- 1 & 1/2 cup Firm Tofu
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (which is a good source of Vitamin B12 for vegans)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Combine the silken tofu, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, yeast (understand whether it is vegan-friendly with this post) and salt in a blender. Keep blending it until the paste is smooth and has a nice texture. The material might stick to the walls of the blender at times so you would have to stir it with a spoon/ whisk or a spatula for a few minutes.
- You can add some fresh spices (pepper, oregano, cumin seeds etc) to enhance and enrich the flavor of the cottage cheese.
- Pour this mixture in a bowl and stir it to check for any lumps or air bubbles.
- Now use the firm tofu and crumble it fully so that it can be mixed properly with the silky mixture. Mix this with the paste that we have created in the above steps with the silken tofu.
- Stir well and combine both the mixtures and wrap this in a washed cheese cloth or muslin cloth and then squeeze it to get the excess water out, if any.
- Store this in the refrigerator for a while and then you can use it for the next five days. Don’t let any water collect or as it will lead to bad odor and rancidity.
You can prepare several vegan recipes like vegan Nacho cheese recipe with this vegan cottage cheese.