We have been trying French onion soup at home and in restaurants for years. French onion soup is a full bowl of flavorsome item that is lips-smacking too. This soup is easy to make and delicious too. You just have to say ‘yes’ to some of the Vegetable stock and vegan mozzarella cheese. But is it really vegan-friendly? Yes, French Onion Soup is a vegan dish.
With a bowl full of savory onion and melted mozzarella cheese (or any other vegan cheese listed in this article) on the top of dairy-free French onion soup sounds delicious, right! Now, it’s time to nourish your body with below given vegan onion soup recipe easy to make vegan soup recipe!
Vegan French Onion Soup
Vegan Onion Soup recipe
- 4 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 6 cup White Onions - It should be chopped into thin slices.
- 2 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (Check its vegan status here)
- 1 cup Red wine - You can use the alternative of red wine that is balsamic vinegar
- 3 qt Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 qt Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Flour – To make the perfect soup body
- 2 tsp Thyme – It is a culinary herb and to make the vegetarian French onion soup healthier and delicious
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- 64 oz Vegetable Stock
For toppings, you can include
- 1/2 cup Sliced French bread (you can prepare that with this recipe)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- To make the caramelized onions, you have to put onions into the olive oil and butter (you can use Jif peanut butter). Don't lose your focus till 15 minutes as the onions could burn and make the flavor worst.
- Add red wine or balsamic vinegar (check vegan status)and keep stirring till it gives the appearance like thick gravy.
- Add flour according to the quantity. And keep stirring until it coats.
- Add the garlic and let it cook for at least 1 minute.
- Add the stock of vegetables, salt, and black pepper according to your taste.
- After adding all of the ingredients, let it boil for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat so that it can boil nicely.
- Fill the bowl with soup and then add the toppings (Add some pieces of toasted bread on the top according to the quantity of soup)
- Cover the top of the soup with shredded mozzarella cheese and then, put the bowl under the boiler so that cheese melts nicely.
You may choose to enjoy it just like this. The interesting part is you can also dish it up with toasted sprouted grain bread (you can try out vegan versions of Sourdough bread from this post) and melted gruyere cheese or you can use vegan cottage cheese prepare at home with this recipe. This is for a more traditional presentation. As an alternative of baking the cheese onto the vegan onion soup, put slices of sprouted grain bread on a baking sheet. Then rub the tops with a fresh garlic clove.
Finally, drizzle with a little olive oil and top with the gruyere cheese. Bake for 10 minutes at 350º. Continue until the cheese is melted. You may now top each cup of soup with a slice of the cheesy bread and serve. This super mouth-watering vegan onion soup recipe is rich and gives you comfort in winter.
The elegant and surprisingly easy to make soup is ready to be served. Make sure that the soup doesn’t get overcooked or burned as it could be the worst soup to your taste. Thus, the above was everything about the best vegetarian French onion soup.
Besides being appetizing this vegan French onion soup actually has healing and medicinal benefits too. You can try out healthy vegan quinoa recipe here.