Going all the way vegan can sometimes become quite a challenging task. Ask any vegan out there, and I am sure he will vouch for this fact. The very popular french macarons is a small round cake that is essentially made with the egg whites. This creates a lot of concern in the minds and hearts of the vegan folks.
But do not lose your sleep if you are into veganism and must be thinking that your macaron days are over! By putting innovation into mixing and matching some recipes, you can indulge in some finger-licking eggless macarons. One of the most effective ingredients many have been using is the aquafaba to make macarons without eggs. It is the brine from the chickpeas, and due to its similarities with the egg-white, it can be easily used as replacement in meringues and marshmallows.
Macarons – Vegan or Not?
What is Macaron? – A macaron, also known as the French macaroon, is a sweetened delicacy prepared using ingredients like the egg white, sugar (both icing sugar and granulated sugar), almonds, and food coloring. French macarons are made essentially with almond flour and sugar and are supposedly free of gluten, which is made by preparing a sandwich of two almond meringue cookies, adding some filling in between.
Are Macarons Vegan?
No, Basic Macarons are not vegan as they are confectionaries whose main constituent is egg white. Hence, it cannot be claimed to be an authentic vegan item. But chefs worldwide are bringing new innovative means to make the delicacy edible for the vegans as well like with the below recipe.
What are Vegan Macarons?
Macarons minus the addition of the egg white will give you a vegan version of the delicious macarons. Substitutes like aquafaba can be used as a replacement of the egg white. They do all the hard work, including the lifting, the binding, and the creation of the volume! The dairy free macarons made by using the vegan buttercream are also considered a favorite among the vegans.
What is Aquafaba?
Aquafaba is considered one of the most important elements in the vegan world. Also known as the ‘bean water,’ it is the liquid extracted or strained from cooked legumes. The most renowned version is the chickpea aquafaba. This makes some of the most delicious meringues, cakes like vegan angel food cake, and baked items. It can be a very good replacement for egg whites in recipes, including the whole eggs used in baked goods.
Vegan French Macaron Recipe with Aquafaba
French Vegan Macarons with Aquafaba
- 250 g Aquafaba
- 100 g Ground Almonds
- 200 g Icing Sugar
- 40 g Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vegan Red Food Coloring [You can use Red 40 (check its vegan status here)]
- 2 tsp Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Vegan Buttercream
- Take a pot and reduce the 250 grams aquafaba to 110 grams with low heating. The aquafaba needs to be refrigerated overnight.
- Then preheat the oven to 120 degrees Celsius. Blend the almond flour and the icing sugar in a mixer for about one minute.
- Now take a separate bowl and add the refrigerated aquafaba. Start mixing it well so that soft peaks begin to form. It should be noted here that you can add some vanilla extract to it at this stage.
- Now sieve the powdered sugar and almond meal into the aquafaba and gently give it a gentle flog.
- Next, add this batter to a piping bag. Take a parchment paper baking sheet and pour the mixture in rounds directly on it.
- You can either keep it this way at room temperature or directly put it into the oven. It needs to be baked for around 25-30 minutes. Once done, leave it inside for a good 15 minute with the oven's doors remaining closed.
- Follow this process with slightly opening the doors for around 10 minutes, after which you can finally take out your vegan macarons easily.
- Add some buttercream into a mixer and blend well to make a smooth paste.
- Now with the piping machine, put the buttercream into the aquafaba macarons' two halves sandwiching them with each other. The prepared aquafaba macarons must be refrigerated for at least two hours before serving.
There are several possible ways to devour on your favorite macarons without the fear of breaking your vegan vows. Vegan macarons are now on the top of the list of favorite food items for those who want to avoid animal fat.
Either the Italian macarons or their French counterparts, there are some easy recipes for making vegan macarons with aquafaba. These substances bring with it all the goodness of certain animal products. It can serve as an excellent replacement for egg-whites and whole eggs in baked food preparations like vegan coffee cake.