OK, so you decided to go vegan – congratulations! You’ve taken one step forward towards healthy living. Yet, the realization doesn’t hit that soon unless you see someone relishing a bar of milk chocolate right before your eyes. Or, you tend to crave for one yourself, suddenly remembering that you can’t have the store-bought version anymore because it’s not vegan. Or, you could try the soy milk chocolate bar or better still try a dairy-free version.
Does this really mean giving up on the most delicious snack in the whole wide world? No! It just means that it’s time to take the next big step forward and making milk chocolate at home vegan style. Here, we use non-dairy milk as an alternative to dairy milk which you can find here.
It’s super simple – doesn’t need a gas stove, involves only 4 pure vegan ingredients, all of which are gluten-free and dairy-free to prepare vegan milk chocolate recipe. Sounds too good to be true? Try it for yourself.
How to Make Vegan Milk Chocolate
- Cocoa powder – ½ cup
- Coconut oil – ½ cup, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Coconut milk cream – ¼ cup, full fat
- Maple syrup – ½ cup
(You can also add cocoa butter to add softness to your homemade vegan milk chocolate recipe. Clear your doubts whether cocoa butter is vegan or not with us)
Vegan Milk Chocolate Recipe:
- Take a large bowl and put cacao powder and the melted coconut oil in it. Mix both until they blend well. Remember to scrape off the sides of the bowl while mixing so that you’re able to take everything in and leave the bowl clean.
- Take the cream top off full-fat coconut milk and add it to the mix. Make sure that the mixture doesn’t form any lumps as you keep mixing.
- Now pour maple syrup into the bowl so much that the texture of the mix feels smooth and if you are thinking of adding cocoa butter, you can add it here.
- Once the chocolate mix is ready, time to make it into the shape of a chocolate (can’t wait already?) Take a baking sheet and line it well with parchment paper. You can also use a chocolate mold if you so desire to get the chocolate into a shape of your choice.
- Pour the mix over the sheet or mold and transfer it to the freezer. Allow it to stay there for at least an hour for it to set nicely. The chocolate, once ready, can stay fresh in the fridge for a few weeks and longer if stored in the freezer.
This homemade vegan milk chocolate recipe with maple syrup is quite unhealthy so, here, I bring to you vegan milk chocolate recipe using coconut!
How to Prepare Coconut Milk Chocolate
The same above recipe has a slight twist if you’re interested to try out a variation the second time. Let’s see how to make milk chocolate different style.
Ingredients for Non-Dairy Milk Chocolate
- Cocoa powder – 1 cup
- Coconut oil – ¾ cup
- Coconut milk – 160 ml
- Vanilla extract (optional) – 1 tsp.
- Confectioners’ sugar – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Combine together the cocoa powder and coconut oil in a bowl. You can also use a mixer or food processor for added convenience and to save time. Remember that you need to mix until a paste is formed and make sure that the paste has no remaining clumps of coconut oil left over. In case you notice any, break them using a spoon and mix well until they all disappear.
- Take little water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Cover the pan with a medium-sized glass or ceramic bowl to create a double boiler effect. This would heat the chocolate and prevent it from getting burnt. You can also use a ready double boiler if you have one already.
- Add the mix to the saucepan and keep stirring gently with a spatula as it starts melting in the pan. The mix would gradually get thinner. You may even see some oil clumps but they’d melt and blend in while stirring. The mix should just heat up but not boil. If you see bubbles, lower the heat and keep stirring.
- Pour the mix into the mixer and add shaken coconut milk. Mix for it to combine well. The mix should thicken up a bit now. At this stage, add vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and salt to the mixer. Run the mixer until the chocolate gets smooth.
- Then bake it same way over a lined baking sheet or mould and freeze until sets.
Make your own milk chocolate and relish it without guilt. Enjoy! We also bring to you various other desserts that you can prepare at home using similar vegan ingredients. Desserts like homemade vegan Chocolate cake or a chocolate and banana Muffins as mentioned here, are easier to prepare yet delicious to have.